Kayaking in the Rain

August 6th, 2010

"Hey look," I thought when I woke up on Friday, "more rain."

On other days I hadn't minded the rain, I'd welcomed it. Mountains look cool when they're shrouded in rain and mist. For Friday, however, the fam was schedualed to go kayaking, something for which rain and mist are overrated. Especially, when you don't have any appropriate rain gear. (My green jacket I've worn was part of a water proof suite once upon a time. A few too many washes nessesitated by boyscouting trips has since rendered it all too eager to soak in the rain.)

Unphased by the prospect of getting a little wet, I got up and got ready. I snapped a picture to show my enthusiasm. I ment to turn off the flash, but I think it only adds to overall effect.


The drive to the kayaking outfit was short, only covering a few miles. The place was picturesque, complete with stray dogs, little kids and crusty old sailors. Everyone wore waterproof bibs (except for the dogs) and sock hats of varying colors. The merchandise in the store was stereotypically overpriced.

Our guide, Chris, met us in the main lodge and gave us the gear we would need, life jackets and kayak skirts. After that there was a bit of standing around and waiting for our boat and the other tourists to arrive, which I found pleasant.

(Dad and I. There's something in my cargo pocket, but I can't remember what it was. Likely my camera and a book.)

When the boat pulled up it reminded me of the old troop transports that you see in world war two movies; the front the boat could lower, making way for people and equipment. I was amused to watch people mill about in front of the boat, it had dropped its ramp several feet off the beach, making it hard for people who don't have much horizontal jump left (read old people) to get on board without getting wet. One of the guides, who was wearing rain boots, noticed and got a big rock we could use as a stepping stone. I got on board and sat near the back.

When all the gear and landlubbers were on board we pushed off and cruised out onto the bay. The ship had loudspeakers and the captain had an iPod hooked up. Modest Mouse's Float On played as well as Led Zeppelin, what may have been the Decemberists (I'm not sure, I don't own their albums), and Dave Matthews. The guy in charge of the iPod (not the captain, he was driving) changed the song when it got to Dave. That jerk. Who skips Dave?! Chris must have thought the same thing, because he made the iPod control man go back. That's right iPod control man. Show some respect for the Dave.

The Captain put the boat into two separate coves, one where they landed the first group, and another where our group (just myself, my parents, and the guide) was dropped off. Convenient beaches abounded. My parents were provided with a double kayak, while the guide and I got singles. I watched the water, the hood of my useless rain jacket over my head, raindrop ripples expanding, passing one another, disappearing. It wasn't exactly pouring, but it wasn't exactly sprinkling either.

Soon, we were in the water. Chris led us along the coast and chatted with us about home, ourselves, himself, the usual.




That last picture shows the entrances to a couple of old mining shafts. Long time ago, couldn't tell you when, prospectors came out along the beaches in resurrection bay and dug shafts back into the rock looking for gold. At one point the shafts were higher off the water, where they sit now they are just above the high tide. Chris told us that in a big earthquake Alaska had back in the sixties, a lot of the land on the edge of the bay slid down into the water. I think it would have been cool to stop and take a look inside, providing nothing fell down on my head while doing it.

We did a few other things too. Nearby there was a stream/river that fed into the bay and we kayaked up to its mouth where the fresh and saltwater mixed to look for salmon swimming upstream. The water ranged from six feet to just a foot or two in depth. I saw several salmon dart by right under my boat. There were also jellyfish everywhere, little ones the size of my thumb to larger ones the size of my head. Chris told us that there are also some larger ones, Lion's Mane jellyfish, that get to be people sized and have tentacles that trail long distances behind them. (The largest on record was seven and a half feet in diameter and had tentacles that were one hundred and twenty feet long. Biggest jellyfish in the world. Could probably have eaten my kayak.)

By the time the trip was over, we'd paddled around for about two hours and seen most of the bay's coastline. Bald eagles abounded. We also spotted a few doll sheep clinging to the cliffs in some of the strangest places. I was completely soaked. What was amusing is that my layers of clothing on my torso kept my top dry, but the kayaking skirt had failed in its job completely, my shorts were nearly dripping. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, I didn't even notice the cold while we were out, and once we got back I had a change of cloths waiting for me. The boat ride back across the bay was the chilly part.

After the morning kayaking tour it was sadly time to depart Seward. We headed back towards Anchorage to spend the weekend with Aunt Joy and visit some of the local points of interest. On the way we stopped by a wilderness preserve of some sort and got to look at Alaskan wildlife. The best part was the black bear exhibit; the black bears were roaming along the edge of their enclosure and came within feet of me. I really, really, really, really wanted to reach through the fence and pet one. Don't look at me like that. I didn't actually do it.

I think that about wraps it up for the sixth.

This might be the last blog post for a while. Yes I know its been a while since I posted the last time. I've been a little busy. The last week has been a blur of activity as I've been getting the final details arranged to move to China. (Medical insurance, student loan repayment details, etc) I have four bags packed and ready to go, two great big army duffels, a rolling suitcase, and my traveling backpack. When I was told I was allowed fifty pounds per bag, and was warned that It might be hard to keep in that limit, I laughed at the person who told me. That was until I considered the weight of the books I'm trying to drag over there. I'd bet you that I've got forty to fifty books crammed in various places. That aught to keep me stocked for a while.

In other news I've finished reading both Neverwhere and the book I picked up after that, Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch. Pastwatch didn't even survive a day. I think I'll try Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights next. I'll need something to read on the thirty plus hours I'm going to be spending on planes tomorrow and Tuesday. If Wuthering Heights doesn't weather the trip, I've also packed in my backpack Alexander Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo.

It might be a while till I can post again, so stay tuned. If I can't get blogger working right (China blocks blogger among other things) I might have to resort to electing one of you my honorary webmaster. ;)

3 comments:

Steven said...

Good luck in China - If I remember correctly you've got 6 hours before your 30 hour epic flight begins.

The Alchemist said...

Yeah. It's 3:31 AM Indiana time. I'm sitting in San Fran waiting for the flight to Hong Kong to take off. I'm ready for a little sleep here soon.

Unknown said...

Hey Derek! I've enjoyed "catching up" with you through your blogs. It has been several months sense we've talked and I must say that coming back to harding I feel a void that was once Derek. I'll miss not being able to go over to your apartment to hang out. I wanted to tell you to have a safe trip and hopefully we can stay in touch if China allows it!

Post a Comment